Friday, November 4, 2011

A Top Heavy Top 25

October 3, 2010

Another rough day to be a proud supporter of the Texas Longhorns. One of my roommates showed me the video he secretly recorded of my temper tantrums during the Texas-Oklahoma game today. It's amazing to go back and see what I was like and admit how low I stooped. That just comes from frustration and boy, what a frustrating day it was.

If any of you saw my status after the game (that I should probably be deleting because of the emotion and frustration in it, it doesn't represent who I am), but you saw my frustration. What's harder to deal with is not the games you're supposed to win, but the games you should have won. What I mean by that is, look back at last week against UCLA, was Texas supposed to win that game? Yeah, supposed to because it's UCLA that they're up against. But then UCLA comes out and absolutely dominates Texas, so should Texas have won that game? No. Today, Oklahoma had Texas on the ropes but couldn't finish, kept Texas in the game, and then held on thanks to Texas giving the game that they should have won away. Unnecessary stupid penalties have plagued the team all year. In my mind, late hit or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties should always be prevented, and so should blatant holding penalties and easy pass interferences, but most importantly, lining up offsides when we recovered that Landry Jones fumble. Lining up offsides is just pathetic.. If you recall the game, Oklahoma basically, well not to take anything away from Oklahoma because that's a very underrated football team, but Oklahoma basically scored three touchdowns because of Texas penalties, although I'm not saying they wouldn't have scored otherwise, but they could have been held to field goals too.
The latest one is the one that's going to stick and that was Jackson Jeffcoat's unnecessary roughness call that gave the Sooners a first down when Texas had them stopped and was ready to get the ball back. That gave Oklahoma a first down and they extended their score to 28 which changed the complexion of the game if you look at how Texas fared after that call. Texas was in prime position to potentially send the game to Overtime, but if it wasn't for the Jeffcoat penalty, then they would have been in position to win the game outright. But again, mistakes that should be prevented hurt us as Aaron Williams muffed the punt that pretty much ended the game. My heart goes out to Williams, he's still one of the best on the unit, it was just a spur of the moment mistake, it just happened in the worst possible moment. If he would have been able to pull in that interception earlier in the game, that would have been huge. It was tough though, but that was a display of just how good he is, so everything can't be pointed at him for muffing the punt. Garrett Gilbert again didn't get much help from his receivers catching the ball either, even though Malcolm Williams finally showed up.
ESPN: "Horns Blow It"

Anyway, that's in the past now and it's already behind me. Texas now has two weeks to prepare for Nebraska. Lets talk about some other games like Washington-USC. Washington hit a game-winning field goal with 3 seconds left again, just like they did last year. What a game, and what a gutty performance by Jake Locker at the end. What bothered me though (even though I'm happy USC lost), was the USC sideline. When Washington was lining up for the field goal it seemed like no one on the USC sideline cared that they were about to lose. They looked like they had nothing to play for anyway, and now that's true since the slim possibility of an AP National Championship is gone. But what I want to see out of these guys is Heart, but if USC doesn't want to bother with that, that's fine.

Last Week

Oregon as I foresaw was just too fast for Stanford. It sucks now that Stanford is practically down two games now in the Pac-10 Title hunt with tiebreakers and all that, but I don't know, Oregon was impressive, I just don't feel like they're a top five team still, but I have moved them up. I'm high on Stanford's offense, but not their defense which everyone was saying is so great and that they could hold Oregon and win. Not at all. Stanford has some great players on that defense, but they're just too slow. They're meant for a physical hard-nosed fight, not a track meet with Oregon.But hey after bashing Oregon enough the last two years for not playing defense, the Ducks' defense shut Stanford out in the second half. I'm going to do some more evaluation on the Oregon defense. And my guy Andrew Luck that I'm so high on made some costly mistakes in the second half, and I do believe that was an outcome of Oregon's defense, so we'll keep an eye on that.

I can't remember who it was, but someone told me Florida was going to beat Alabama and I said no way it's not even gonna be close. Florida was absolutely overmatched by Alabama. I knew it would be that way, and I'm glad that Florida was finally properly exposed as not a top ten team, because I was asked a lot of questions about why I didn't have Florida in my preseason top ten. Tonight was why.

How about Denard Robinson? He went crazy over Indiana today. We thought it would be a shootout, but Denard said he can run faster than bullets can travel. He just took over and led Michigan's offense. Still a lot of work to do on defense though.
That Northwestern-Minnesota game was a classic too, and Virginia Tech finally gets back into BCS discussion by knocking off NC State. When VT was done in the first half, I was thinking maybe NC State is legit, but then the Hokies came through to prove that they're not.

My biggest disappointment today was Rutgers losing to Tulane. Rutgers' first possession of the game, Mohamed Sanu ran it 90 some yards on a "Wild Knight" carry. But then Tom Savage who I'm really high on too gets hurt in the first quarter and the true freshman Chas Dodd has to come in and then there's not enough offense and Tulane stays in the game and wins with one Rutgers interception being the key.
My biggest surprise had to be Texas Tech losing to Iowa State. Three turnovers look like they hurt the Red Raiders. And how about Iowa State putting 52 on the board against Tech? They get to play host to Utah next week, it's going to be interesting.

So much more I could blab on about, but here's my New Rankings. This is contingent upon Nevada beating UNLV. In my mind, the final score isn't going to shake anything up at the bottom tonight, so I'm going to go ahead and post before the gave is over.

And you'll see some iffyness in the bottom of the top ten and beyond. Like I have been saying all year, I think after the Top 6-8, the rest of parody, anyone is going to beat anyone every week. Alabama, Ohio State, Boise State, TCU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Auburn and maybe Oregon are the top of the crop and the rest is mediocre.

My New Rankings headed into Week Six
(x) = previous ranking by me 
* = game to watch 
1. Alabama (1)
Beat Florida 31-6
Next: at South Carolina*
2. Ohio State (2)
Beat Illinois 24-13
 Next: vs. Indiana
3. Boise State (3)Beat New Mexico State 59-0
Next: vs. Toledo
4. Oregon (6)
Beat Stanford 52-31 Next: at Washington State
5. TCU (4)
Beat Colorado State 27-0
 Next: vs. Wyoming
6. Nebraska (5)
Next: at Kansas State* 
7. Oklahoma (7)Beat Texas 28-20
8. Auburn (11)
Beat Louisiana-Monroe 52-3
Next: at Kentucky
9. Arkansas (10)
Next: vs. Texas A&M*
10. LSU (16)
Beat Tennessee 16-14
 Next: at Florida*
11. Utah (14)
Next: at Iowa State*
12. Arizona
Next: vs. Oregon State
13. Iowa (13)
Beat Penn State 24-3
14. South Carolina (17)
Next: vs. Alabama*
15. Wisconsin (9)
Lost to Michigan State 24-34
 Next: vs. Minnesota
16. Miami (20)
Beat Clemson 30-21
Next: vs. Florida State*
17. Florida (7)
Lost to Alabama 6-31
 Next: vs. LSU*
18. Stanford (15)
Lost to Oregon 52-31
 Next: vs. USC*
19. Michigan State (NR)
Beat Wisconsin 34-24
 Next: at Michigan*
20. Missouri (21)
Next: vs. Colorado
21. Michigan (22)
Beat Indiana 42-35 Next: vs. Michigan State*
22. Oklahoma State (NR)
Beat Texas A&M 38-35
 Next: vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
23. USC (18)
Lost to Washington 32-31
Next: at Stanford*
24. Nevada (25)
Beat UNLV 44-26
Next: vs. San Jose State
25. TEXAS (19)
Lost to Oklahoma 20-28
Off this week.
Dropped: Penn State (23), North Carolina State (24)
Bubble: Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Florida State, Penn State, Kansas State, Temple, Air Force, Baylor, Southern Miss, Northwestern

Heisman Radar
Denard Robinson
Patrick Peterson
Terrelle Pryor
Kellen Moore
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
LaMichael James
DeMarco Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment